Why do so many teenagers love Snapchat?
The main point of the Snapchat feature is that photos and messages only last for a short time before they become inaccessible to their recipients. Therefore, as of March 2020, it had 229 million daily active users. It is estimated that on average more than 4 billion Snaps are sent each day and mostly used by those below the age of 16. In this post, let’s figure out why Snapchat is so popular.
What is Snapchat?
Snapchat is an American multimedia messaging app. Just by its name, we can easily guess what it is used for.
The app was created by Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown, former students at Stanford University. Then it was developed by Snap Inc., originally Snapchat Inc.
It allows users to exchange messages and pictures. You may think that this seems like some other messaging apps. However, your messages in Snapchat will be available for a short time before it becomes inaccessible to the recipients.
Snapchat is a mobile app and it is compatible with iOS and Android devices. It is advertised as “a new type of camera” because it lets you take pictures, add more filters and send them to your friends.
As of March 2020, Snapchat had 229 million daily active users and it became so popular in the younger age, mostly used by those below the age of 16.
How does Snapchat work?
Some outstanding features of Snapchat
We all know the purpose of this app, obviously, Snapchat has some amazing features to keep your attention.
Take and send a Snap
Of course this is the main point of Snapchat that makes it different from other apps. A Snap is a video or a picture you send through the app and they will disappear after being viewed. You can select the number of the recipients. Normally, if you add the messages to your Stories, they will last for 24 hours. Besides, an unopened Snap can be deleted after 30 days in maximum.
Create a story or custom stories
When you add a Snap to your Stories section, your friends and others can see it within 24h. This feature is like the Story part of Instagram or Facebook so it is not too difficult to understand.
However, Snapchat has more than that, the custom stories feature lets groups create stories together. You can create a Group Story or a Geofenced Story, where your group members or other people can contribute to that story when they are in a specific place.
A new type of camera
Snap Inc. has advertised Snapchat as a new type of camera. With this function, a Snapchat filter is a funny way to add an overlay or other specific effects to your original photo. If you are familiar with some photo editing apps such as: Foodie or VSCO, you will know what to do with this feature. The Snapchat filters usually make you look cute or younger. That may be one of the reasons why so many teenagers use Snapchat.
Unlike filters, Snapchat lenses will be used while you are taking a snap and they allow you to add more animated special effects to your photos or videos.
Additionally, Snapchat also has more outstanding features like: Snapcode, Bitmoji, Snap Map,…
The meaning of some lingoes used in Snapchat
Whether you are trying to use Snapchat for the first time or you are the parent who wants to know about your kid’s life, this part is for you. You may see these following word why using Snapchat and wonder what they mean:
- Snapchatter: Although it is not common anymore, basically means Snapchat user.
- Snap: when someone tells you to snap them, that means they want you to send them a picture of a video through Snapchat.
- Snapcode: seems like an QRcode, each one has a Snapcode and it can be seen on your profile. When someone uses Snap camera to scan your Snapcode, they will automatically be added to your contact list without your permission.
- Snapstreak: When you are connecting with someone by snapping each other (not including chat messages) within 24 hours for more than one consecutive day, there will be an emoji shown up next to their name in your chat. Which means they are on streak, or Snapstreak, with you. You can see more meaning of each emoji in Settings > Manage > Friend Emojis.
- Snapmap: This one will help you to share your location with friends and you will know their location as well. In Snapmap, users will be represented as Bitmojis. Of course you can choose to share your location or turn into ghost mode anytime you want. To access Snapmap, pinch your fingers on the main screen like you are zooming out a picture, then Snapmap will show up.
Simple guides for beginners
How to set up a Snapchat account?
- Download the app from App Store or Google Play Store and the installation is free.
- After downloading finishes, click on the icon to open the app for creating an account
- Select sign up, enter your last name and first name and click on sign up & accept
- Enter your birthday and then hit Continue
- After a few steps of filling your information such as: username, password, email and your mobile phone. A code will be sent to your phone for the verification. Enter that code and now you can start snapping.
How to add friends on Snapchat?
- After signing up, Snapchat will ask your permission for accessing your contact list. You can just agree and it will add all your contacts who use Snapchat.
- Another way for you to add friends is scanning the Snapcode. When you scan someone’s code with your camera through Snapchat, you are automatically connected to each other.
- Your Scancode is found at the top left of your camera screen, just click on your profile and you will see it.
How to create and send a Snap?
You can use Snapchat to create your own Snap and this process is so simple.
- When you open the app, it will directly lead you to the camera screen. Tap the capture button if you want to take a picture.
- If you want to record a video, just tap and hold the capture The maximum length of the video is 10 seconds.
- After taking a photo, you can use some creative tools to edit your photo before snapping to some friends or adding it to your story. Some creative tools such as: timer, doodle, scissors,…
- Click the blue Send To arrow icon on the bottom right of the screen. Then, select which contacts you’d like to send the Snap to. Once your Snap is sent, the app will take you to the Friends screen.
So here are some simple instructions for the beginners. Of course you can find more when you download and experience Snapchat by yourself.
Because Snapchat is so popular among teenagers, it has also become one of the parent’s concerns. Although there are some policies about the age limitation, we can not make sure that our children will follow the rules. However, the developers are trying to update Snapchat more and more to give you the better experience.